Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Intelligence

I have never considered myself a very intelligent person. Mainly because I hated reading and writing in school. I wish my parents had instilled in me the love of reading they did in my little sisters. They love to read and they read all the time.

I used to read only for pleasure and it had to be an action adventure book. These days I yearn for knowledge. I want desperately to learn more and get more from what I read rather than just scanning over meaningless dribble.

I also want to be able to hold a meaningful insightful conversation. I feel dumb as rocks sometimes (ok, a lot of the time) when I am at a social gathering and cannot respond intelligently enough to keep the conversation going or merely contribute to the conversation. I tend to listen and try to absorb everything I hear in these types of situations.

I feel like a bubble head. I feel like a dummy sitting there staring into space because I am too uneducated to understand what is being said.

I want to learn more. I am at the point where mediocre is no longer acceptable. I am starving for more. Not only for myself but for my daughter's sake as well. I want to teach her everything I can and I can't do that without expanding my horizons.

Not only do I want to increase my book knowledge but I want to expand my life knowledge. I want to create something like a bucket list. Create a list of books and activities that I haven't read or done and scratch them off each time a read the book or do the activity.

It's time to make a list...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment!